Manchester United have been left “disappointed” at Jadon Sancho’s reaction to his falling out with Erik Ten Hag which has seen him refuse to offer an apology, sources have told 90min.
United confirmed on Thursday that Sancho was training away from the first-team, with disciplinary action yet to be resolved.
Sancho has been banished from the first-team since his public falling out with Ten Hag earlier this month when the United boss openly cited the winger’s poor performance in training as the reason he was left out of the mathcday squad to face Arsenal.
Sancho responded by posting a damning message on social media, claiming to be a ‘scapegoat’. That message even stayed pinned to the top of his profile on X (formerly Twitter) until just a few days ago following a meeting with the club and Ten Hag.
Sources have told 90min that Sancho’s response has been “disappointing” and has not been “what the club hoped for or expected”. It is understood that Ten Hag and United were looking for some sort of apology from the 23-year-old – but that was not forthcoming. As such, Sancho remains away from the first-team until further notice.
It now remains to be seen if the rift between Sancho and the club can be healed. During the fall-out, United held talks with Al Ettifaq about selling him on the last day of the Saudi Pro League transfer window and it is believed that the England winger was concerned by that turn of events.
United’s hierarchy are believed to be keen for Sancho to be reintegrated at some point, but Ten Hag is standing firm whilst talks are ongoing with chief executive Richard Arnold and football director John Murtough personally involved in trying to find a resolution.
90min understands that Sancho’s former club Borussia Dortmund are keeping close tabs on the situation as they would be inclined to offer him a route back in January. It is believed that Sancho too would ‘love’ to return to the Bundesliga, but much will depend on how the next few weeks and months pan out.
The Sancho saga means that United are now without two of their first choice wingers as Antony is also serving time away from the club as he is currently in Brazil amid assault allegations made against him by three women, including a former partner.