More than Fifty (50) persons have been rendered homeless and properties estimated at tens of thousands of Ghana cedis destroyed following a fire outbreak at Atonsu, a suburb of Kumasi in the Ashanti region.
Preliminary investigations by officials of the Ghana National Fire Service MyNewsGH.com understand suggest it was as a result of a leaking gas cylinder.
Safety Officer of the National Disaster Management in the Asokwa Municipality Nana Hemaa who confirmed the unfortunate inferno said “We were notified of the fire around 7 am. We came over and are assessing the extent of damage. So far no casualties have been recorded but the properties destroyed could be over 2 billion cedis”
“We are sending a report to the Regional and our National offices so they can intervene. Over 50 people are affected but we are still gathering more information”, she disclosed
“For now we will find shelter for all those who are affected and will not have places to go. We will put them in classrooms or churches so they are safe” The NADMO official said.
The fire started from one of the several bedrooms there in the house according to a 13-year-old girl who out of shock failed to inform other occupants to take action to douse the fire.
The Ghana National Fire Service were at the scene to douse the fire after initially going to the place with a single tender that was out of water in just seconds.
Also, other tenders that were deployed were faulty and it took personnel a hard time to put the fire out.